So you’ve figured out a way to geotag SMSes. What are you going to call it? GeoSMS of course. Too bad everyone else had the same idea.
Here are all the examples of GeoSMS we’ve come across –
- The GeoSMS standard. That’s us. Our Android application is called I Am Here.
- The Open GeoSMS Standard Working Group at the Open Geospatial Consortium. Their application is called OpenGeoSMSer.
- The GeoSMS Android application, published by Geeksville Industries.
- The GeoSMS Google Maps mashup that displays SMSes at their tagged location.
- The GeoSMS HTML5 web application.
- The geosms server-side application, part of the InSTEDD Golden Shadow project.
- The GeoSMS 1.0 Java application for mobile. According to the blurb “Send and receive sms in your language. For example: Georgian, Armenian, Azeri,
- The geo sms blogspot blog. Not sure why it’s called geo sms. May geo has a special meaning in Urdu.
All very confusing. I’m thinking maybe we should have called our standard GeoTXT instead.